3.27.2008

Brief Jay-Z/Mary J Concert Recap


So tonight(well yesterday since it's past 12 am) was the biggest concert hip-hop/r&b wise to hit Baltimore.

Jay-Z and Mary J. Blige's Heart Of The City Tour had finally rolled into town. The show was sold out hours after they went on sale in February. So I was trying to figure out a way to get into this show. I mean this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see these two live in concert. So I'll say like a few weeks ago, I met a dude in the barbershop that said he could get me in. So I'm waiting and waiting and waiting some more. He called me today and was like he'll know around 6pm. 6pm rolls around...no phone call. Nothing. So I'm like fuck it, I heads down to the arena and see what I could do. This lady comes up to me and she's like you trying to go. She was selling her $200 seat ticket for $150...Fuck that... I wasn't trying to pay no more than $60. So it was dudes outside selling tickets. So I peeped the ticket and gave dude the cash. Mind you the seat was in Section 324 a.k.a. The Nosebleeds. So I didn't care at this point because I wanted to go to this show and I was just happy to get in there. So Dream was the opening act. I'm sure he did Shawty's Da Shit. When I got there, he was in the middle of I Luv Your Girl and he did Falsetto.

So then it was a brief intermission. Then the stars of the show came out to do their thing. They opened to Can't Knock the Hustle. Then Jay left and Mary ran though such hits as Reminisce, Real Love, Love No Limit and Sweet Thing. When she performed songs off of My Life, I was singing along with her. That's my favorite Mary J. Blige album. Just the dark pain that she went through, produced classic music. She also did Feel Like A Woman, Stay Down, Invisibility, No More Drama(She killed that song...like oh man), Not Gon Cry(Ladies was with her on that), Your Child, I'm Gon Down and Hate It or Love It. She finished her set with Be Yourself, Enough Crying, Just Fine and Be Without You.

Funny moment during Mary's set: When she was doing "I'm Gon Down", the camera was panning the crowd and when it landed on this one girl, all you hear were ewwwws

Then Jay-Z, Hov, Hova, Jigga or whatever you want to call him comes out. He's rapped the hook to Say Hello. He opened up with I Know and had the video playing along on the screen behind him. He performed Give It To Me, Show Me What You Got, Roc Boys, No Hook, and Can I Live. He brought Memphis Bleek out for 99 Problems and U Don't Know. He vibe with the ladies on Excuse Me Miss and Song Cry. Ran through Nigga What Nigga Who and Jigga My Nigga. Rocked H to the Izzo and Dirt Off Your Shoulders and P.S.A.

He teased with Feelin It, Who Ya Wit, Hard Knock Life, Crazy In Love, Money Ain't A Thang, Is That Yo Chick, and Best Of Me(remix). He would let it song play for a few seconds then say fuck that..and cut it off.

He did do Big Pimpin and Encore. Then him and Mary came back and performed Heart Of The City(Ain't No Love).

Show was great in my opinion.

Mary is officially my favorite female recording artists. She always was but her performance tonight sealed it.

0 comments: