8.02.2009

Dear Love,

Well once again we have come to a crossroads in our paths. The heart and mind constantly disagree on which way to follow you. They both have the best interests but they tend to view you in a different light. The heart is loyal and will stay down through thick and thin. The mind wants to analyze the situation and do what needs to be done in order to protect the heart. So they battle constantly until one slips and allows the counterparts to gain the upper hand.

So where does that leave you? Day in and night out, you have so many relationships beginning and ending. You've been widely appreciated and knowingly abused. You've been kept a secret and overly commercialized. February 14th should be everyday since you take no days off. But what about those that can't seem to reach you? They want to experience that trait you have to offer. Maybe their time hasn't came yet.

So many times I've tried to avoid you. But it seems like you placed someone else there. Tried to play things off but you used the trickery to reel me right back in. Like a fiend, I took the drug. Let the high consume my soul. What is the secret to finding success with you? Lord knows that I don't want to end up older in age still searching for that answer.

Then I turned to music for guidance. Danity Kane trusted you and now you're poetry to them. Seems like those words will touch your soul. Duffy dealt with you and was left crying at Warwick Avenue. Mary J. Blige made many songs about the joys and pain you gave her. Carl Thomas was left emotional. So much pain funneled to the word through music. They do say that pain can bring joy. Mariah once thanked God for finding you.Tamia couldn't get enough of you. Luther, Barry, and countless others have rejoiced in the way that you made them proud.

So it would seem as if we had a lengthy history. Not strangers but not really familiar either. Tried to take chances but ended up avoiding those boundaries. As much as I try to distance myself, we manage to cross paths.

So how do we begin this next chapter?

Yours truly,

Derek

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful and well thought out. But I couldn't help but think as I was reading that something was missing. I hear something behind the words that you are afraid to express. You put that out into the universe and believe me it will enlighten you.

*..::Ashley::..*™ said...

...I love this. Honest & personally relatable... If love ever replies you - it better come equipped with some serious answers