7.11.2008

4 Years Ago

I remember my mother asking me something that I thought I would never of hearing come from her: She asked me to give her away at her wedding.

So this was my mother's 2nd attempt at marriage. The first time was like when I was 3 years old and the dude she married was a fucking asshole and a junkie. Now I was too young at the time and I remember my mother telling me how she met him. Hell he was older than my grandmother at the time. I do have some memories (not good ones) of living on 28th Street. I also remember the night that she left him for good. My mother gathered our things and she came around to my grandmother's house. That was the end of that. I remember that he had a son and two daughters. The two daughters I remember were Theresa and Kim. Theresa had a son named Paris, who was slightly younger than me but he was known for riding bikes and things. Kim had a daughter named Regis. Kim didn't like my mother at all, probably because they were around the same age. I dunno. Well their father passed away like a few years later from an OD. And I didn't like him at all. Yeah I was young, I know this but whenever we got off that #8 and we had to cross Greenmount Avenue, I would get sad. I hated that house and just everything associated with it. Wow. I mean that whole experience is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to me. Lack of positive male role models is a primary reason why I don't really associate with males.

So as I pondered the fact if I wanted to give her away or not, I had to think about the new male that she was going to marry. He was older than her, not like her first husband but a some years (I think between 5-7 years). Now I am very protective of who my mother deals with (That's another blog) and so I was really not wanting to meet Anthony at first. I remember one Thanksgiving, she brought him past my grandmother's house and she wanted me to meet him. I wouldn't come downstairs for nothing. So when she left, she called me and she was not too happy either. Nor was my grandmother who really let me have it. I finally did meet him that next year on Mother's Day at the church. We spoke and that was that. He's a very quiet person and he has to warm up to you. But generally, he is a nice person who is into cars and church. (Trust, he knows both of those subjects very well.) I finally gave my mother my decision (I had no option in the matter -- lol). They just celebrated their anniversary yesterday (mad that I wasn't invited *sneer*). But I'm happy for both of them.

Wow if I would've went deeper into this, this would've been mad long.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

oyay for your mommy, Derek.