7.16.2008

Archives

Didn't feel like blogging so here's an old story that I wrote back in 2004.

Road trips are supposed to be enjoyable and take you away from the stress of work and school. However, the last road trip I took was anything but that. After the things I encountered, I was ready to get back home as fast as possible. This road trip didn’t have any bright spots so overall, I wouldn’t want to go on another road trip in the near future. Even today I can remember exactly what happened.

First of all, there were some issues that we had to attend to before embarking on our little trip. Moe, who planned this whole trip, was nowhere to be found. Everyone that was going was supposed to meet at the movie theater at 8:00am. I arrived there at 7:30am and had to wait for the other people who were going on the trip. Then, 30 minutes later, Tosha, Heather, Tymia, Kenneth, Krystle, and Terence finally arrived. Moe, who was late even when he was on time, had overslept due to some late-night partying. So when he arrived at the theater around 9:30am, he looked as if he had been in a knock down/drag out fight. So, Kenneth decides that he would drive just in case Moe started to steer off the highway and we’d all end up in the emergency room.

During the three-hour drive to Virginia, I had an enjoyable conversation with Tymia. She was a little less than 6 feet tall, dark-skinned with long brown hair. She wore glasses and she had a lovely smile. We were discussing the subject of interracial relationships, when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a young lady who needed a little assistance with her car. I motioned to Kenneth, who must’ve been reading my mind because he started to pull over on to the shoulder of the road

so we could lend a little assistance. As Kenneth and I exited the van to go assist the young lady, Heather noticed that the young lady was acting very strange, like she was up to no good. However, Kenneth and I were more concerned about who would be the first to get her number. As soon as we reached her car, the woman pulls out a gun and tells us to empty our pockets. Kenneth, who stands a little more than six feet tall, almost fainted when he saw the gun pointed directly in his face. I kept my usual calmness; and did not comply with her command. The young lady stared at me in a perplexed manner. Seconds later, she started to asked me why my money wasn’t being transferred to her hand. While all of this is going on outside, everyone inside the van is starting to freak out. Tosha was in tears, pleading for Kenneth and I to give her the money and come back to the van. But Krystle wasn’t having any of that. She left out the van with a crazed looked in her eyes, like she was going to do something painful. What was about to happen next I don’t even think the young lady could even imagine this happening to her. Krystle yanked the young lady by her braids and slammed her head into the car door window. When I say smashed, I mean her head went through the glass like it was a rock. Then, the young lady fell to the side of the road unconscious with a bloody face that made it look like she was going to be lying there for a while. Out of all of us, Krystle is the quiet one and I wouldn’t expect that anger to come out of her. Krystle then kicked the motionless young lady to see if she was responsive then she told both of us to get inside the van. As soon as we climbed in, everyone started to exchange jokes.

So we continued our road trip to Virginia. Before we had gone too far, we realized we were starving, so we all stopped at a Waffle House. We all ordered some waffles, fried ham, grits and some orange juice to drink. There was a loud family that sat directly behind us who was enjoying their meal. But their two twin boys were more concerned about irritating us than eating their meal. I became visibly irritated with those two, so I took a large heaping of my grits and I gave one of the twins a nice smash to the face. Next, the other twin tossed some eggs in my direction, but he missed me and instead it hit Tosha upside her head. Tosha, who was the firecracker of the group flipped out and an all out food fight started. It was so messy, that the restaurant had to close for forty-five minutes in order to clean up. The boisterous family wasn’t allowed back inside since they were they ones who initiated the whole food chaos.

Finally, after a long day of driving around and visiting the mall to shop, we decided to patronize a local club just to have a little fun before heading back home. The club bouncers did not want to allow Terence in the club because they thought he was underage. So after he produced his card, we stepped inside the already packed club. It seemed like the locals figured that we were from out of town and decided to test us. So while we were dancing near the bar, three guys decided todisrespect the ladies. Consequently, when we spoke up a fight ensued. Subsequently, minutes later we were tossed out of the club. Next, the club owners decided to press charges against the three guys since they were always causing trouble there. Without too much discussion, we all decided to head home. One thing is certain, I am sure that our road trip afforded us the kind of script that would produce a successful motion picture. Finally we are all in agreement with the writer who stated, “There Is No Place Like Home.”


0 comments: